If you absolutely cannot live without the batter, then you can easily dip the chicken cubes into egg and flour, deep fry them, and later slap the sauce on top.
Try out the batter-less version. You'll be surprised.
~3 servings; 20-30min
- 2lbs boneless chicken thighs diced into small cubes
- 1tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 rough tbsp minced ginger (about 1/4inch thick slice)
- 1 medium onion diced
- salt (1/2tsp for chicken)/pepper
- pinch paprika
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 heaping tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (Found at IGA)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
1. Heat up non stick frying pan medium high heat. Add 1/2 oil. Bring up to heat. Add chicken thighs in one even layer. Add salt, pepper, and paprika in an even layer. To help brown, DO NOT STIR. Otherwise, you will end up boiling chicken. Let fry ~5 min. or until chicken has cooked 3/4 of the way.
2. Stir fry for another 2 min. Place in a separate bowl. Keep juices.
3. Add other half of oil. Bring up to heat and add garlic, onions, and ginger at the same time. Stir fry until onions have somewhat become translucent.
4. In a bowl, add juice, parsley, sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce. mix and add into onion. Add juices from chicken. Bring to a boil. Cook for ~5 min or until sauce has reduced by 1/2.
5. Add carrots and bell peppers. Boil for another 5min. or until veggies are cooked to desired texture.
6. Add chicken thighs and boil for another 5min. or until sauce starts sticking to chicken. Turn off and set aside. Set aside and wait till dish cools down a bit. This will help sugars settle, making for a more delicious taste.
7. Best served with white rice.
*Click HERE for a cooking dictionary.