Sunday, October 16, 2011

Apple Sausage Rice Burrito - A Mexican Inspired Recipe

warning: don't cut foil with knife. it will get into your burrito lo
I grew up with Mexican food all around me (I'm from San Diego-neighbor of Mexico) and naturally, I ate it all the time.  In turn, I developed Mexican Food taste buds that need to be satisfied from time to time.

Since there are virtually no Mexican Restaurants in Grenada, I decided to attempt to bring Mexico here, into my kitchen.  The recipe below was inspired by Mexican Rice,  a tomato rice that I normally top off with sour cream, hot sauce, guacamole, and shredded meat.  It may not seem like a traditional Mexican recipe, but that's because I decided to put a modern twist on it, adding a few more flavorful healthy ingredients.  If you know me, you'll know that I love veggies and try to incorporate them into all of my recipes when possible.

I hope you try this one out. It's one of my recipes I'm most proud of.  The burrito is jam packed with one heck of a dream team of ingredients, textures, and flavors. With spiced sausage, the sweetness of apple, crunch of celery, and tang of lime, you can't go wrong.

3-4 servings; 15-25min
Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 small onion diced
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 3 inches Polish Keilbasa (IGA) Diced ~1/3cup
  • salt (1/2tsp), pepper (sprinkle), and cajun seasoning (1/2tsp)
  • 1 stalk celery diced
  • 1 small carrot shredded
  • 1 small apple diced (fuji or gala)
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tbs lime juice
  • 1 tbs ketchup
  • 1 1/4 cup cold day old rice
  • wrap or tortilla toasted
  • sour cream and hot sauce (optional)... but oh so necessary for me hahah.

    Directions:
    1.  Heat up non stick pan. medium high heat.  Add oil. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent.
    2.  Add Sausage and seasonings.  Stir fry until sausage has browned.
    3.  Add celery, carrot, and apple. Cook for 3 min. or until celery shrinks a bit.
    4.  Add tomato paste, lime juice, ketchup.  Stir and cook for another 3 min. or until oil starts separating from tomato paste.
    5.  Stir in rice and cook till heated through.
    6. Shred cheese on top on toasted tortilla or wrap. scoop rice mixture onto tortilla. add sour cream. fold in sides or wrap towards center. flip bottom over and roll. wrap in foil to prevent burrito from creating mess.

    *Click HERE for a cooking dictionary. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    39th Anniversary of Grenada's Independence

    2.7.13 St. George's Downtown and National Stadium Grenada, West Indies. © Katherine Fung, All rights reserved.  Grenada, The ...