Saturday, February 18, 2012

Thanksgiving Cravings- A "stuffing" Kind Of Sandwich

Today, I thawed out a portion of candied yams I made a couple of weeks ago and every single time that I have them, I get into the Thanksgiving mode.  Yes, this is classical conditioning at its best (once you bite into anything "Thanksgiving," you'll get into Thanksgiving mode and crave everything Thanksgiving hahaha).  So naturally, I scavenged my refrigerator in hopes to magically find the missing parts to my Thanksgiving feast puzzle.  
I normally make cranberry sausage stuffing on Thanksgiving and fortunately I had everything I needed except stale bread (I only had fresh) and time.  I decided to make a stuffing tasting dish in the shape of a sandwich.  I ended up with a great tasting sandwich that satiated my Thanksgiving food cravings in less than 20min.

Candied Yams, A stuffing kind of sandwich, and pumpkin soup.  Thanksgiving has been served.




Servings 2; Time 15-20min
Ingredients:
2 fresh baguettes (IGA deli section)
2 tbsp unsalted butter
garlic powder
cheddar cheese to top

2'' log breakfast sausage (IGA)
1 small onion thinly sliced
1/2 small fuji apple thinly sliced
handful dried cranberries (foodfair)
big dash cajun seasoning
dash black pepper

lettuce
1 large ripe tomato

Directions
1. melt butter in a non stick pan over medium high heat
2. as soon as butter melts, saturate baguettes as evenly as possible
3.  once saturated, take bread out of pan, sprinkle garlic powder and shred cheese on top of each
4.  place bread face down one at a time, pushing tops down in a circular motion so cheese cooks away from pan bottom.  occasionally press top down in a circular motion until cheese has toasted a bit.  place to side when cooked
5.  break sausage into small chunks and brown.  If you want, you can remove excess fat, but leave enough to cook onion.  add onion and cook until translucent.  add apples. cranberries,, cajun seasoning, and black pepper and cook until apples are tender.
6.  place sausage mixture on garlic bread and add lettuce and tomato



No comments:

Post a Comment

39th Anniversary of Grenada's Independence

2.7.13 St. George's Downtown and National Stadium Grenada, West Indies. © Katherine Fung, All rights reserved.  Grenada, The ...