One day, I had left over breakfast sausage, left over cabbage, left over wonton wrappers, and a bit of cream cheese in my fridge. I decided to have a left over party in my kitchen and slapped them all together. Out came the creamy sausage wonton.... I fried (dipped in sweet n sour sauce) several and froze some for later use.
Another day, I made pumpkin soup. I wondered if there was a way to jazz up this soup and I immediately thought about the wontons I had froze from a week prior. I decided to toss some in my pumpkin soup... an idea I was forever thankful towards my brain for thinking. The combination was so great. The second time around making pumpkin soup (this recipe), I didn't have wonton wrappers, but I did have all of the ingredients within. I added all of the fillings of the wontons straight into the soup. Same great taste from when I first made it. I hope you enjoy it! It's one of my own that I'm very proud of.
5 cups water
2lbs pumpkin cubed 1''
1 tsp (or to taste)
black pepper to taste
2'' sausage or 1/3 a log
1 bunch chives chopped
3 garlic cloves
1'' slice ginger grated
1/2 cabbage chopped
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
dashes of cayenne pepper (for heat)
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp sour cream + 2 tbsp cream cheese (or just 4 tbsp sour cream)
1. Bring water, salt, black pepper, and pumpkin up to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to medium high and cover. Cook until tender (~30min) and after, mash pumpkin. After mashed, leave heat on medium low while cooking sausage.
2. in a heated fry pan under medium high heat, add chunks of sausage. fry until golden brown.
2. add ginger, garlic, and chives and cook until tender ~ 5min. be careful not to burn garlic.
3. add cabbage, cayenne pepper, chili pepper, and cumin. Cook until tender. ~ 5min
4. add cabbage mixture into pumpkin soup plus sugar. bring to a boil ~ 5-8min. or until well incorporated.
5. turn heat off and stir in cream cheese and sour cream mixture.