Sunday, November 6, 2011

Tuna Potato Cake Sandwiches

The first question I ask when considering a new recipe is, "Do these ingredients work well with one another?"  The way I go about answering this question is to examine any per-existing relationships that may exist.  For example, I've eaten tuna in a sandwich before...along with a side of potato chips or french fries.  The relationship between tuna and potato was close enough a relationship for me to combine the two with one another.  What resulted: a tuna potato cake.  Two flavors I love along with a nice pleasant crunch. 

These cakes are best eaten within a day, as is the case with any other dish that contains seafood.

You can also serve them alone, as an appetizer with your favorite dip (ranch, sour cream and hot sauce, ketchup) or over white rice. 
~9 small patties; 25 min

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4cup packed shredded potato (~2 medium russet potatoes) (I only have a hand grater so my potatoes were finely grated)
  • 1  can tuna in oil (170g) roughly drained
  • 3 small eggs
  • 1 1/2tbsp flour
  • 3/4 tsp salt or a little less if eating them alone without any carbs
  • 1 tbsp dried parsley flakes
  • 1 1/2tsp sugar
  • 1tbsp mayonnaise 
  • 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • dash cayenne pepper
  • ~2-3 tbsp oil for frying

    • Soft bread rolls
    • mayo
    • cheddar cheese
    • tomato
    • lettuce
    • mustard 
    • squeeze lemon juice and hot sauce

    Directions
    1. I used fresh potatoes.  In a bowl place shredded potatoes. Rinse 4 times until water runs clear.  Strain and squeeze as much water as you can out of them.  Try tapping them with a paper towel.
    2.  In a mixing bowl, place shredded dried potatoes, tuna, eggs, flour, salt, sugar, mayo, parsley, cajun seasoning, black pepper, and cayenne. Mix well.
    3.  Heat non stick pan medium high heat.  Add oil and a slab of butter.
    4. Place a heaping tablespoon of mixture into the pan. Shape as desired. I placed 4 patties at a time in my pan.
    5. don't flip patty until it browns on one side. ~3-4min.  Flip and cook other side until golden brown. ~4min. they taste great when they're crispy!
    6. Toast bread. add 3-4 patties. Add you favorite fix ins.  I would've added lettuce and relish in addition to the ingredients I used, but didn't have any at the time.  It still tasted great! Enjoy!

    1 comment:

    1. I just found your blog. I'm new to the island and am an SO. Thanks for putting this together! I feel like it will be very helpful :)

      ReplyDelete

    39th Anniversary of Grenada's Independence

    2.7.13 St. George's Downtown and National Stadium Grenada, West Indies. © Katherine Fung, All rights reserved.  Grenada, The ...