Saturday, March 24, 2012

Turkey Dogs in a Blanket- A Hassle Free Movie Treat

There was a movie fundraiser night (held at SGU) about a month ago that benefited my good little friends at the Limes after-school program.  Being that I'm so fond of them, I decided to help out in any way that I could.  I decided to bake some goodies to be sold.
Hot dogs have always been a definite must for me during movies growing up and so I decided to carry on with my tradition and made hot dogs... the portable kind of hot dogs that do not involve messy ketchup packets, forks, spoons, and shredding.  I decided to pack everything in one nice blanket and out came these adorable fun and easy portable weiners in a blanket.  I tried both chicken dogs and turkey dogs and found that turkey dogs are a lot juicier and tastier for me. 

These dogs freeze well so go ahead and make one whole big batch of them. Just lay them out in one single layer and seal them well in a zip lock bag.  

I had a little left over dough and used it to make an instant pizza using left over ingredients I found in the fridge. 


Ingredients:
Dough (the same dough recipe I used for my Focaccia Bread recipe)
1 cup warm water (100 degrees)
2 tsp yeast
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt 
3 1/2 cup pre-sifted flour (I used Purity)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 pack of turkey dogs halved
ketchup and cheddar cheese as needed
relish and mustard (optional)
one egg + 1 tbsp water for eggwash
extra oil for greasing baking pan

Directions
1. In a bowl, mix water and sugar.  Add yeast but do not stir. If you try to dissolve the yeast, it will get clumpy and just stick to your spoon.  It will dissolve on its own. Let sit for 10-15min. This process of "proofing" is done to make sure your yeast is "active, alive," and ready for baking. When the mixture is creamy and foamy, move to step 2.
2. mix in salt and olive oil
3. add flour and mix to make a uniformed ball of dough (knead for ~5min). be careful not to overwork dough as it will toughen. coat with olive oil.  Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm area (such as a preheated oven turned on for 5 min and then turned off) and let rise for 45min. Dough should double in size. 
4. Cut Dough into quarters.  cut each quarter in half and cut each half  of each quarter into thirds.  you will end up with 24 portions of dough. 
5. flatten each dough piece out into a rectangle (you may flatten all of them out and wait for them to rise for another 15min. for a more fluffy consistency). I didn't wait and went straight to adding in the other ingredients.
6. shred a generous amount of cheese. add a line of ketchup and other any other ingredients you wish to add.
7. roll and place in a greased baking pan. you may place the dogs fairly close to one another as they won't puff up much. brush tops with egg wash. if you don't have a brush, your finger will do just fine.  
8. Bake at 300 (highest temp. of my Grenadian oven) until golden brown. to test, scrape one Weiner out (using a spatula) and taste it.. or you can test by looking at the cheese. cheese on the bottom should be golden brown, not burnt. time varies depending on your oven. ~10-15min.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

39th Anniversary of Grenada's Independence

2.7.13 St. George's Downtown and National Stadium Grenada, West Indies. © Katherine Fung, All rights reserved.  Grenada, The ...