5 Chicken thighs bone in
flour for dredging (thickens sauce and keeps chicken moist)
salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper for dusting
oil for frying
4 cloves garlic thinly sliced or roughly chopped
1/2'' ginger grated
3 large carrots cubed
2 large potatoes cubed
1 cup apple juice
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar or regular vinegar
1 tsp dry ground coriander
big dash cayenne pepper (optional for heat)
1 tbsp sugar
2 dried bay leaves (not the local bay leaves. you can find these in the hanging ziplock spices section IGA)
1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp dried parsley
1. lightly dust both sides of chicken thighs with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Pat spices down with fingers or back of spoon.
2. dredge chicken with flour. shake excess off. place to side.
3. Heat a heavy bottom pan Medium high heat. Once heated, add ~1 1/2 tbsp oil. Coat bottom of pan evenly with oil. Add Chicken pieces skin side down. Shake pan back and forth rigorously after placing each piece in pan to allow crust to develop and prevent sticking. Brown chicken on each side.
4. turn flame down to medium low. Add garlic and ginger. stir in and cook for a min. be careful not to burn.
5. Add carrots, potatoes, apple juice, vinegar, coriander, cayenne pepper, sugar, bay leaves, fish sauce, and dried parsley. Mix well, bring to a boil, then lower heat to lowest temp and cover. Simmer for ~25-35min.
6. Turn off heat and let rest for another 10 min.
7. Serve on top of white rice. Before serving, you can scoop off excess oil on top (you can use it to make a soup on the side).
Categorized under "Recipes with Pictures"